Bookmark and Share Subscribe
San Francisco City Clinic Search
Ask Dr. K

I was recently treated for anal warts. At this point I don't have any external warts left, but I am afraid I might have them internally now. What type of specialist could assist me in removing them? Is it a complicated?

Most doctors in this field do not recommend treatment for small internal warts unless they are causing bleeding, pain or obstruction. Most of these warts go away over time on their own and there is no need to treat them.

That said, men with anal warts do have an increased risk of anal cancer, so you should talk to your provider -- primary care doctor, internist, family practitioner, GP or the like -- about an anal pap smear. While not all experts recommend routine anal pap smears, some do.

To your health,
Dr. K

Last modified on Tuesday, June 03, 2008.
Privacy Policy | Photo Disclaimer | Feedback
©2019 Department of Public Health, City & County of San Francisco.